Thursday, August 28, 2008

The End Has Happened

So, if you're anything like me (and, really, who out there isn't like me because I'm the picture of typical American women and men?), then you've been anxiously awaiting the end of the summer vlog brothers book club.

I recommend this "book club" to anyone who hates book clubs, reading the classics, or reading in general. If you're too lazy or disinterested to read books such as the The Catcher in the Rye (J. D. Salinger, copyright 1951), then you should watch this insanely brilliant literary analyst do quick-witted recaps. It's like he's writing your book report for you. Check it out here in it's three-part glory:

The Intro:



"Book Club" Part 1:



"Book Club" Part 2:



I really love the way this guy talks about books because (yes, I'll admit it), I've tried to read The Catcher in the Rye once before when I was fresh out of college--I wanted to see what all the early censorship ballyhoo was about--and hated the book. I forced myself to finish it because (yes, I'll admit it) I have a really hard time admitting to myself that I "don't get it" and that books can defeat me. None the less, I hated every second of reading this book because I literally didn't get it. Having watched all three parts of this analysis, I'm ready for a re-read.

Please comment and let me know if there are any books that have beat you down and/or made you feel like a failure because (although much-hyped) you just "didn't get it."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those videos were really good! I must admit that in one of my classes we were supposed to read Catcher in the Rye but I never even cracked it open. Thank God for Cliff's notes! haha!

Unknown said...

Many of the science fiction books my parents have been persuading me to read have defeated me. I get through a few pages, forget what I read, go back and re-read them, have no clue what just happened other than something with an alien and a space ship, and then give up. It angers me. It makes me feel stupid.

Literature Crazy said...

Science fiction is super tough... you're reading and trying to keep track of the plot, while also trying to remember the names of people/places (which are unusual) and recall the history of this alternate reality and keep in mind any rules or culture that is specific to that genre and/or series of books. You're definitely not stupid... just science fiction challenged.