Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Norman, Where Have You Been All My Life?

Okay, so I will admit something straight off the bat: I've never read a book by Norman Mailer. Never. I've known in that small part in the back of my brain where I shove all the things I know I should do, but don't want to, that I need to get around to reading some of his stuff; if nothing else, give a gander to the two Pulitzer winners he had.

Now that that's all out in the open, I'm going to just quickly say that Norman Mailer may be my favorite author of all time. Not having read a single, solitary word he's ever written in a book, I may be in love with a dead guy. Wonder why?

The Daily Beast published online a series of letters he wrote to various friends, colleagues, and two to reviewers. I love this guy's moxie and his style--the tone of his letters was artfully sarcastic and beautifully cynical. I love this guy. Have I already said that? Let me say it again. I love this guy.

Norman Mailer, where have you been all my life?

No comments: