Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Book Review: Jessica Darling Novels (1-4)


Title: Sloppy Firsts, Second Helpings, Charmed Thirds, Fourth Comings
Author: Megan McCafferty
Genre: Commercial Fiction
Rating: B+

Summary: These four books are in a series telling the tale of the relationship between Jessica Darling and Marcus Flutie. There's more to it... he starts off as not a friend, there's a sordid past involving the dead brother (via overdose) of Jessica's best friend Hope who happened to be one of Marcus' best friends, and that the relationship might not have always been developed under the purest of pretenses, but that's pretty much it: the story of a relationship. Book 1 tells of their first meeting and dating (and Jessica discovering the nasty truth about the less-than-pure motivations). Book 2 tells of their reconciling and burgeoning relationship. Book 3 tells of their time in college (and Jessica's not-so-faithful ways). Book 4 covers a one week span of time (in minute detail) where Jessica decides will she or won't she marry Marcus.

Review: Here's a quick note: I read all four of these books in about three days. That good. Also--not perfect. I loved (let me say that again: I loved) Marcus Flutie. So interesting. Unfortunately, Jessica doesn't always love Marcus so we're left to guess sometimes about his interesting habits and interesting motivations. I say they're interesting and that's because they're compared to Jessica (who is completely un-interesting). The only "interesting" thing that Jessica does comes at the end of book 4 (which is enough to get me to read book 5).

The primary reason this series earned a B+ is because the story line is good (thanks to Marcus) and McCafferty actually does a great job in writing--she uses great turns of phrases--but it's lacking in the primary protagonist. Also, the minor characters are beautiful and should have been used more, if nothing else, they should have shoved Jessica around (figuratively) more often to make her more dynamic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just finished Sloppy Firsts this week and, like you, am completely devoted to Mr. Marcus Flutie. I'm running out on my lunch break to grab Second Helpings today! Since I have about 28,469 books in my TBR pile, I was trying to be good and read one of the books I already have... but I can't stand it. I have to know what happens next!