Monday, January 11, 2010

Book Review: The Sea of Monsters

Title: The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson & the Olympians, Book Two)
Author: Rick Riordan
Genre: Middle Grade, Sci Fi/Fantasy
Rating: A-

Summary: Percy Jackson gets reunited with old friends, old foes, old fathers as he learns more family secrets and proves that he isn't your average, run-of-the-mill Olympian. [Read my review of Book #1 in the series here.]

First Line: "My nightmare started like this."

Review: I got my wish, well one of my wishes, a little bit. The challenges that Percy (and crew) face in The Sea of Monsters were much more harrowing than in The Lightning Thief. Percy is starting to show that he is the son of Poseidon--and so much of this book takes place in/around water, that his lineage comes in pretty handy.

Also, we find out more about Percy, his family, and the his dad (whom I am quickly forming an opinion of as the coolest Greek god known to man).

There is still a lot to be explored in these books, and they keep getting better--more action, tons of laughs, deepening relationships and bonds. It's enough to keep me reading to the end (barring a huge "tanking" in one of the subsequent three books).

No comments: