Monday, July 14, 2008

A Book Club for Book Worms

So, recently (within the past two hours) I've been thinking that I need to participate in a book club group that meets in real life. A bona fide book club that doesn't just read whatever Oprah recommends, and isn't just a bunch of friends getting together to drink iced lattes and pretend they're discussing books.

I used to be in a book club at church, we mostly read Christian non-fiction, but once (when we were feeling really adventurous) we read Harry Potter and the Sorcer's Stone to see what all the hullabaloo from Christians was about. All in all, not so much to be hullabaloo-ing about. Even though that book club had a limited genre from which to select, I enjoyed getting together once a month with other people who liked to read and talk about the book.

I went to the Barnes & Noble book club about New Moon from the Twilight Saga, and I'll be going back next week for the discussion of Eclipse, but mostly I do that to get a Twilight fix. There don't seem to be many others who read the book very intently (looking for imagery and/or symbolism, or to critique the author's writing and/or character development).

I did a little searching and found that my local library has a monthly book discussion. It's a bit late to read the book for July's meeting, but I think I'm going to go for the next few discussions that are planned. Here's what we'll be chewing on:

Is there anybody else out there who participates in book clubs? Wish they had a book discussion group? Anybody have experience starting their own?

3 comments:

maddieannemoo said...

Hi...

Ohmygosh, I love your blog...I don't know how I ended up here, but I love your take on life. I read through about 10 of your posts...you should have an option to sign up for your blog...I'm terrible about remembering to come back.

Anywho...I don't normally do this, (I hate spammers) but I'm a publicist and occasionally I send Christian and non-fiction books out for review. If you would be interested in blogging about/reviewing some bookslet me know.

amy@litfusegroup.com

amyanne said...

blogger's on the fritz...I just logged to blogger with my account's username and password...but I see blogger published my comment in my daughter's account. Very strange indeed. :)

Literature Crazy said...

I'd be happy to read for you, my opinion is over-flowing.

I don't know how to allow people to subscribe/sign-up, I'll have to look into that.

Thanks.