Friday, August 21, 2009

Best Sellers (08/21/2009)

Weekly Feature: Here's a run-down of what's hot at the book stores this week (according to the NY Times lists posted online on 8/16/09, print version 8/23/09):


Hardcover Fiction
1. Bad Moon Rising by Sherrilyn Kenyon ($24.99)
2. That Old Magic Cape by Richard Russo ($25.95)
3. The Help by Kathryn Stockett ($24.95)

Trade Paperback Fiction
1. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger ($14.95)
2. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson ($14.95)
3. The Shack by William P. Young ($14.99)

Mass Market Paperback Fiction
1. Bengal's Heart by Lora Leigh ($7.99)
2. Dean Koontz's Frankenstein: Dead and Alive by Dean Koontz ($9.99)
3. The Quickie by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge ($7.99)

Children's Books (Chapter Books)/Young Adult Fiction
1. Daniel X: Watch the Skies by James Patterson and Ned Rust ($19.99)
2. L.A. Candy by Lauren Conrad ($17.99)
3. Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen ($19.99)

My Thoughts:
* I'm so excited for one of my favorite authors, Richard Russo, to hit #2. And with a heavy piece of literary fiction, no less. Quite a feat. I'm a little perplexed about The Help making it up to #3 (it was #4 last week) but it came out back in February, so I'm surprised that people are buying it now. Usually this particular portion of the list is so flash-in-the-pan-genre-heavy that this one suprises me.
* No change on the trade paperback list this week. I wish I'd put forth the effort to look at actual numbers of units sold (if that information were available) because I'll be interested to see just how much The Time Traveler's Wife fluctuates immediately after the release of the movie.
* I was a little confused about the plotline of Bengal's Heart, as written by the NY Times ("A reporter and a sexy Bengal try to uncover why the Breeds have been accused of harboring a serial killer.") until I checked out the author's website and saw that The Breeds is a serial romance series. That cleared things up a little for me.
* No changes on the YA list. I wish things would switch up more often, but at least Lauren Conrad didn't reclaim the top spot. There's something to be said for taht.

Your Thoughts: Post in the comments and let me know which of these new books flips your switch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Richard Russo is also one of my favorites, and he's fared well with adaptations, too. Having Paul Newman in them didn't hurt, that's for certain - "Empire Falls" was solid, and "Nobody's Fool" is a wonderful gem of a movie.