Friday, August 28, 2009

Best Sellers (08/28/2009)

Weekly Feature: Here's a run-down of what's hot at the book stores this week (according to the NY Times lists posted online on 8/23/09, print version 8/30/09):


Hardcover Fiction
1. South of Broad by Pat Conroy ($29.95)
2. Smash Cut by Sandra Brown ($26.99)
3. The Help by Kathryn Stockett ($24.95)

Trade Paperback Fiction
1. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger ($14.95)
2. The Shack by William P. Young ($14.99)
3. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson ($14.95)

Mass Market Paperback Fiction
1. The Quickie by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge ($7.99)
2. Dean Koontz's Frankenstein: Dead and Alive by Dean Koontz ($9.99)
3. Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris ($7.99)

Children's Books (Chapter Books)/Young Adult Fiction
1. L.A. Candy by Lauren Conrad ($17.99)
2. Daniel X: Watch the Skies by James Patterson and Ned Rust ($19.99)
3. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater ($17.99)

My Thoughts:
* South of Broad seems epic in scope (timeline and setting) and comes from a heavy-weight author. Might be worth a look, in my opinion.
* I refuse to acknowledge what happened with the #1 spot on the YA list (I guess by writing that I just acknowledged it, didn't I? Crap.). But, at #3: the NY Times summarized Shiver as "Love among the lupines," but the summary on GoodReads.com did it a little more justice. I've been on a real YA SciFi/Paranormal Romance kick (giving my brains over to zombies, etc.), but I haven't really read anything involving werewolves. I'm adding this one to my TBR list for sure.

Your Thoughts: Post in the comments and let me know which of these new books flips your switch.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

I feel so out of the loop, but at least I have heard of some of them. :)