Sunday, January 31, 2010

Book Review: The Titan's Curse

Title: The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson & The Olympians, Book Three)
Author: Rick Riordan
Genre: Middle Grade, Science Fiction/Fantasy
Rating: A

Summary: The story of Percy Jackson continues in this third (of five) installment of the Olympians series. Percy now has to contend for (actually, try to shrink from) the spotlight (actually, the prophecy fortelling doom) with Thalia, another child of "the big three."

First Line: "The Friday before winter break, my mom packed me an overnight bag and a few deadly weapons and took me to a new boarding school."

Review: I'm not sure quite how to keep reviewing these books in this series independently. It seems as if I'm saying the same thing over and over.

(Read Book #1's Review Here; Book #2's Review Here)

This book continues the upward trend of this series. Riordan retains his humor and good characterization of tweens/teens/young adults, and further ratchets up what we want to see. Specifically, the quest in this book is more harrowing (with some full-fledged carnage) and the god/mortal interactions continue to develop. We also get a deeper peek into the god/god interactions (which is what I've been clammoring for).

Based on some hints that my nephew has (infuriatingly) dropped, I'm sure there are even more good things to come in this series. If you've read this far, keep trucking on, my friend.

No comments: