Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Weblog Love on Wednesdays

I don't have a blog-ish post for today because I don't have "The Situation" on my Google Reader under control this week. Lots to read that I haven't yet read.

But, rather than disappoint all [three] of you, I determined that I'd contribute a different sort of love-ly post. Namely, a post dedicated to my general love of buying books. I don't participate in book mooch-ing or paperback swap-ing, and I've only received a total of four free/ARC/contest win books (three of which I've reviewed, one to be read/reviewed at a later date) in my auspicious days of book blogging. I am a book buyer--used and new--and a library user.

And tonight (I'm writing this on Tuesday to post on Wednesday, I don't have time control like Kronos) I went book-shopping and picked up four new books. Then I came home and purchased another five online. Which meant, much to my excitement, that it was time to reorganize my TBR shelves. I'd like to post some photos here for you all (with a little link love after the pictures):


The Overview: The TBR book shelf and reading rocker


Top Shelf: Young Adult and Middle Grade Novels
These are given precedence in my reading agenda. I put them in chronological order of "radar"... things that were on my "wish list" that I specifically went to the store and picked up (pictured on the left) are read first, based on the order that I became aware of them (usually through your lovely blog recommendations); things that are impulse purchases at the book store or library are read, presuming I don't have any "wish list" books to read, in order of procurement (first in, first out, keeping in mind those all-important library due dates).


Bottom Feeders: Adult Fiction and Nonfiction
It's kind of hard to tell but these are doubled up--two rows on each shelf. These are ordered chronologically by date of original publication (because I'm anal-retentive). And I read in reverse chronological order. The next one up: Not My Daughter by Delansky, which just came out about a month ago. I'm not sure that I'll ever actually get around to reading Paradise Lost by Milton (the oldest book on my shelf), because I'm constantly buying more books, newer books, but I can always hope, right?

But, on to the link love...

My online purchases tonight were:
The Vinyl Princess by Prinz
Thank you, Mandy [EO17] for putting this on my radar... you were also responsible for The Heights and Getting Revenge on Lauren Wood... you're costing me a lot of money.
Troy High by Norris, Troy and Ithaca by Geras, and Gods Behaving Badly by Phillips
Thank you, Rick Riordan, for getting me obsessed with Greek Mythology... my new reading fad is going to cost me a lot of money.
All that to say, I picked up one of these titles through the Barnes & Noble dealer network; you can also purchase through dealer networks on Amazon and Borders. Some might say that you should shop local, shop independent, and to that I say, "These dealer networks include independent book stores--such as Powell's, libraries de-accessioning their inventory, and wholesalers who are supporting literacy. As somebody who's nearest indie book store is a 40-minute drive away, I give link love to dealer networks that help the greater good and can get me what I need."

What about you? Where do you love to get your books? (Or book recommendations?)

3 comments:

kay - Infinite Shelf said...

Like you, I'm a book buyer, used and new, and I borrow books from the library. Although I don't borrow much these days since I'm trying to get those TBR piles down a little (it's not working.)

Marie Cloutier said...

Those are some great pictures! I'm a book buyer but I'm not buying until Lent. I rarely borrow books though I get a few review books now and then. Your reading rocker is cool! :-)

Tristi Pinkston said...

Hi there,

I work for a publisher and I'd like to chat with you about book reviews - I send out review copies to bloggers all over the internet. Could you pop me a note at tristi@valorpublishinggroup.com

Thanks!