Thursday, February 3, 2011

Book Review: Five Flavors of Dumb

Title: Five Flavors of Dumb
Author: Antony John
Genre: YA Literary Fiction
Rating: A+

140-Character Summary: Piper Vaughn is the least likely person to manage DUMB, an up-and-coming rock back from her high school because she's deaf. But she is.

First 140 Characters of the Book: "For the record, I wasn't around the day they decided to become Dumb. If I'd been their manager back then I'd have pointed out that the name..." (p.8/255, NOOK).

140-Character Review: Piper's deafness is a backdrop to all of the bigger issues in this book--that are bigger issues in all coming of age--and it made me cry.

140-Character Recommendation/Market Placement/Entry Point: If you enjoy books with musical misfits as a theme or deaf characters in lead, then read this. (But it was better than Read My Lips).

No comments: