Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Bad, Bad Person

Yep, I'm lazy. I have been reading, but I've been lazy about it. Or, more accurately, I've been lazy about updating this blog (i.e., nearly six months with nothing to show for it). In that time I have read quite a bit; some good, some bad, some right smack dab in the middle between good and bad.
I don't have time to detail all of what was good and bad, but here is one that I will take the time to extol: Notes From the Blender by Trish Cook and Brendan Halpin.

The tagline: "She's hot. He's not. Now they're family."

My take: This book is told in alternating POV between the hot (Neilly) and not (Declan). I don't know which author wrote which POV (or if it wasn't even that cut-and-dry of a collaboration), but I went crazy for Declan. Like, super crazy.
Actually, so crazy that I should have written that as "supa crazy."

I loved that Declan was into such dark stuff and not, in all honesty, the least bit dark. Maybe it's because I've had a mom who died and watched my dad get remarried (although I was older than Declan by a half-score of years) and know that the feelings that you'll forget that person, that it's a form of betrayal, etc., were spot-on. I actually posted a Facebook update in response to this book (which I consumed in a single evening because I couldn't bear to stop reading): "So many tears. Some call it catharsis. I call it literature."

Not many books warrant a FB update. Well played, Cook/Halpin.

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much. I'm really glad you liked it so much, and really honored to hear that Declan's grief experience felt authentic to you. Thank you for spreading the word!