Friday, August 14, 2009

Best Sellers (08/14/2009)

Weekly Feature: Here's a run-down of what's hot at the book stores this week (according to the NY Times lists posted online on 8/7/09, print version 8/14/09):


Hardcover Fiction
1. The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson ($25.95)
2. The Defector by Daniel Silva ($26.95)
3. Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner ($26.99)

Trade Paperback Fiction
1. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger ($14.95)
2. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson ($14.95)
3. The Shack by William P. Young ($14.99)

Mass Market Paperback Fiction
1. Dean Koontz's Frankenstein: Dead and Alive by Dean Koontz ($9.99)
2. Smoke Screen by Sandra Brown ($9.99)
3. Mastered by Love by Stephanie Laurens ($7.99)

Children's Books (Chapter Books)/Young Adult Fiction
1. Daniel X: Watch the Skies by James Patterson and Ned Rust ($19.99)
2. L.A. Candy by Lauren Conrad ($17.99)
3. Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen ($19.99)

My Thoughts:
* No big surprises on the hardcover fiction list. (Actually, if you take a peek at the whole list, I thought #4 and #5 were interesting... but that's beyond the scope of this blog post.)
* No real changes on the trade paperback list this week. Larsson is holding steady on two of the major charts. (Too bad he's not around to see it. But you have to wonder if he'd be doing as well if he were still alive.)
* I've never read a Koontz book, but that title seemed awesome. I may have to check that out... $10 isn't bad for a book.
* I never thought I'd say this, but I'm so glad that James Patterson cranks out books because he has finally unseated Lauren Conrad. It is a joyous day and the angels are rejoicing in heaven. (Okay, maybe not on that one.) I may have to check this one out too... just to ensure that this non-LA Candy best seller phenomena lasts longer than a week.

Your Thoughts: Post in the comments and let me know which of these new books on our list seems most likely to be right up your alley.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather, I'm a little slow in getting back to posts I want to follow up on. Anyway, regarding your WiP, I'd really like to hear more about your approach to revising it and working on your queries and the rest of the hard, unglamourous work. Not right now, you've got plenty on your plate, but in a few months time, perhaps?

Book Dragon said...

Hardcover Fiction:
~I've got Best Friends Forever on my wish list, just waiting for paperback.

Trade Paperback Fiction:
~I've read The Time Traveler's Wife. Fascinating, well thought out and I'm itching to see what the movie does to it.
~the Shack is on my shelf, I've heard it was good, just haven't gotten to it.

MMP
~I bought Mastered by Love the day it came out. Finished it too but then I love SL.
~I own a couple of DK but not this one. I've only read Santa's Twin and Robot Santa and they're both children's books.
~SB? haven't read in years.

Children's books
~thinking about Daniel X but will wait for paperback.

Literature Crazy said...

@Book Dragon - Thanks for the thorough response... enjoyed reading your thoughts. I'm going to have to look into some of that genre fiction.