Friday, September 11, 2009

Best Sellers (09/11/2009)

(Sorry I missed last week.)

Weekly Feature: Here's a run-down of what's hot at the book stores this week (according to the NY Times lists posted online on 9/06/09, print version 9/13/09)...


Hardcover Fiction
1. Alex Cross's Trial by James Patterson and Richard DiLallo ($27.99)
2. South of Broad by Pat Conroy ($29.95)
3. The Help by Karen Stockett ($24.95)

Paperback Trade Fiction
1. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger ($14.95)
2. The Shack by William P. Young ($14.99)
3. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson ($14.95)

Mass Market Paperback Fiction
1. 92 Pacific Boulevard by Debbie Macomber ($7.99)
2. Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs ($7.99)
3. The Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly ($9.99)

Children's Books (Chapter Books)/Young Adult and Middle Grade Fiction
1. Tricks by Ellen Hopkins ($18.99)
2. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins ($17.99)
3. Sent by Margaret Peterson Haddix ($15.99)

My Thoughts:
* Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol drops this Tuesday (9/15/09) and everyone in publishing is kind of making a fuss as if it's the only book coming out this year (which it's clearly not), but I'm going to put good money on it claiming that #1 spot pretty quickly. People love a band-wagon.
* The second book in the mass-market list is part of a series (Alpha and Omega), but it's a lupine series and I'm finding myself wanting to read lots of books about werewolves. Mind you, I haven't, so I'm not sure what that really says, but (that being said) Hunting Ground would go on my imaginary werewolf-related TBR list.
* You might have noticed, if you're scarily obsessive about reading this, that I tweaked the title of the YA category slightly to include MG fiction. The third book on the list, Sent, is categorized as 8-12 (which is MG in my book), and I wanted to include it (maybe or maybe not because I didn't want the next book on the NY Timees list, L.A. Candy, to be featured).
* Also, is anybody else surprised that The Hunger Games is on the list and Catching Fire wasn't? However, Tricks came out a week earlier than Catching Fire, on August 25, so I can't really get a read on this category's timeline.

Your Thoughts: Post in the comments and let me know what you're thinking.

1 comment:

ibeeeg said...

I like your Best Sellers post.
Yep, I noticed that Catching Fire was not on the list. It will be interesting to see if it is on the list next time.